Sunday, October 7, 2012

A visit from Julie & Zaidee

Julie and Zaidee were able to come for a short visit this past week.  It was so much fun having them both!  On Wednesday we walked around Old Market and went antiquing.  I never go shopping by myself (hence my wardrobe : D ) so it was nice to get out and look around.  The next day we went to Vala's Pumpkin Patch, we fed the animals, walked in a corn maze, watched pig races, ate delicious kettle corn, and of course picked out pumpkins (: I LOVE FALL! On Friday we went to breakfast with the girls at Farmhouse Cafe.  Afterwards we went to the mall, then the zoo, and that evening we made caramel apples and pumpkin hot chocolate, yum!!!

Antiquing.

Shopping in Old Market.

Wedding cake from Wheatfields. It is divine!

See that cute clip in Ellie's hair. It's actually a vintage clip-on earring that we bought from the antique shop and clipped in her hair.  I loved it!  Of course, Ellie took it out and lost it within 10 minutes.






I'm not gonna lie...I was afraid the camel would spit on me.



Watching the pig races.

Yes... that is kettle corn stuck in my teeth.





I love this face! So funny and cute!

Ellie is making a Matt face :-D



My pumpkin!

My other pumpkin!





Holding hands at the zoo.




Caramel Apples / Caramel
(do not double)

1 C. butter
2 1/4 C. brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 C. corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. chopped walnuts (optional)

In 3 qt. heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat.  Add brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup.  Mix well, cook and stir over medium high heat until mixture boils.  Clip candy thermometer to pan.  Reduce heat to medium.  Continue boiling at a moderately steady rate, stirring frequently until firm ball stage (248 F).  Turn off heat and add vanilla.

*For caramel apples cook to around 234 F (about 10 to 15 minutes)
While caramel is cooking (remember to stir frequently) wash apples with hot water and a little vinegar to remove wax.  Dry apples and put in stick.  Place dipped apples on wax or parchment paper that has been buttered or sprayed with Pam.  Makes 10-12 apples.

For regular caramels line 8x8 pan with tin foil, extending over the edges.  Butter the foil.  Sprinkle walnuts over the bottom of the pan and pour caramel over.

My favorite is caramel, white chocolate, cinnamon sugar, and sliced almonds. YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this post was so fun to look at. How fun that your sis and Zaidee came to visit! It looks like you guys had a blast. And I must add that Omaha is beautiful in the fall! I am so jealous! Ellie doesn't even look like a baby anymore... she is officially a toddler! She is gorgeous and she is looking more and more like Matt to me. And her hair is getting so long! Chloe is jealous. I miss you guys tons. And Lis, you look great. What is Ellie going to be for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and PS... I'm going to need your caramel recipe. Those look delish, and I want to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete